Friday, April 4, 2008

Thursday Night, April 3rd, 2008 Rescue call for a Baby "Great Horned " Owlet

At 9:58pm, 04/03/08
It is that time of year again. Baby birds are falling out of the sky early this year.
We received a call from Heather from Emergency Veterinary Services of Vancouver Washington. A Good Samaritan found a baby owl on the side of the road. I picked up this apparent 6 week old with no visible wounds, it was found on the side of the road. I called Dr. Janet Ackermann of American Wildlife Foundation before & after my pick up of this owl at 9:59 pm at the facility of EVS. I was told that this bird might have a fractured leg. After I examined this owl, it appeared to be physically fine and just a bit emaciated.

Upon arrival to my home, I fed the bird, four times five grams of fresh chicken liver, and two grams of chicken hearts from the local store.
A Hungry 6 week old Great Horned Owlet.
I left messages with the doctor informing her that I can deliver it at 5 am to her facility.




This baby owlet will need to be fed, on time, every two hours before to will be delivered to the American Wildlife Foundation. Located in Molalla Oregon.