Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The Untold Story of The Red Tail Hawk Rescue On Monday January 21st, 2008, 6 PM

While in Yacolt, I received a second call from a resident near Yacolt about an injured Red Tail Hawk. The first call went to voice mail. So now on the way home from Yacolt I stopped by and picked up this bird from the Good Samaritan. Upon Arrival in Hockinson, Washington, I met the Good Samaritian Brian.
He discovered this bird in his front yard.

The Red Tailed Hawk appeared alert. In addition, it appeared to be a male adult. Upon arrival at N.W. Bird Rescue, the Red Tailed Hawk was prepared for rescue triage.

The Red Tail Hawk was docile and in shock after the 30 minute ride.
Wondering where he was, the bird seemed happy to be out of the vehicle.
After a 30 minute warm up to pull the bird out of shock, it was time to hydrate the bird.
At first the bird was hesitant to take fluids.
Spitting out some of the electrolytes, it was necessary to help this weakling take fluids.
With a little help he finally takes the fluids.

After the first dose he welcomed the second dose of fluids.

Garth Noggle, V.P. of N.W. Bird Rescue, took most of these photos. He helps with a lot of the late night rescues year round. Garth Noggle observes the bird after hydration.

Now it's time to warm the bird up to pull it further out of shock.

After 30 minutes of warm up it's time for nutrition.
At first the food smelled good, but this Hawk didn't like the plastic syringe as a feeding supply.
After burping he found some energy.
After a moment of digestion he gained a bit more energy.
And more energy.
And even more energy...
He lifted his head in confidence.He opened his eyes wider to get a closer look at his new-found-friend.
Back to a warm, quiet environment for a night's rest.Arriving at The American Wildlife Foundation's facility in Molalla, Oregon,
this Red Tailed Hawk was greeted by a warm smile from Dr. Ackermann before his exam.
Dr. Janet Ackermann begins her exam.
Finding no apparent broken bones, she searches for the reason this bird was on the ground..
After feeling the bird's chest, the Doctor finds that the bird is a bit emaciated. Dr. Ackermann prepares to hydrate this Red Tail Hawk immediately.

Dr. Ackermann hydrating the Red Tail Hawk .

Still looking for the cause of illness.

I looked up and viewed the recent intake of animals by the American Wildlife Foundation.
Please note the variety.

Dr. Ackermann looks for other injuries.
She finds a possible tailbone fracture (perhaps due to a bad landing).

The Doctor administers a steroid and a dose of fluids.
After further exam the Doctor discovers the problem.
This Hawk's left third cornea was damaged, blinding it in one eye, so it could not hunt to feed.
That explains the emaciation and dehydration.
After the Doctor flushes the eye,
She applies a topographical ointment onto the cornea.
This bird is temporaraly blind.
Now it's time to prepare to put a splint on the tail bone.
With tender care the Doctor preps the bird.

With the gentle touch of an experienced volunteer, the bird does not struggle.
They pad the tail splint first.
A sleeve is then placed over the padded splint and tail.
Now it's time for the hawk to take a nap before breakfast.

Dr. Janet Ackermann, on the right, walks the grounds and examines the rehabilitation pen where the Hawk will rehab.